CAEA Professional Educator Awards
CAEA annually accepts nominations from its membership for active and current CAEA members who have demonstrated exemplary instruction in their schools and who have made an impact on those around and to our organization. Furthermore, CAEA selects one of its members to receive the Outstanding Visual Art Educator of the Year Award for the State of California who is also honored each year at the National Art Education Association national convention.
The purpose of CAEA Professional Educators Awards is to:
• Recognize those individuals within the membership who have achieved the highest level of professionalism in the field of art education.
• Show our appreciation to those individuals or organizations that have contributed their services in an exemplary way to our association and to the goals we espouse in our profession.
• Increase public awareness of the importance of a quality art program for all of California’s children
• Set the standards for quality art education and demonstrate how those standards can be achieved
• Encourage membership in CAEA and active participation in CAEA at the local and/or state level
1. CAEA’s Outstanding Visual Art Educator of the Year*
2. CAEA’s Outstanding Elementary Visual Art Educator
3. CAEA’s Outstanding Middle/Junior High Visual Art Educator
4. CAEA’s Outstanding Secondary Visual Art Educator
5. CAEA’s Outstanding Higher Education Visual Art Educator
6. CAEA’s Outstanding Visual Art Administrator/Supervisor
7. CAEA’s Outstanding Museum Visual Art Educator
8. CAEA’s Outstanding Active Retired Visual Art Educator
9. Special Needs Visual Art Educator
10. Rookie of the Year Award (three years or less teaching experience)
*The recipient of the Outstanding Visual Art Educator of the Year award will represent the State of California as the recipient of that award at the subsequent year's National Art Education Association Convention. Transportation and lodging for the Convention will be reimbursed by CAEA for up to $500 as approved by the State Council.
1. Award of Merit
2. Douc Langur Award
3. The CAEA Ruth Jansen Distinguished Art Educator Award
4. Certificate of Appreciation
CAEA Special Awards
1. CAEA’s Lifetime Achievement Award
CAEA Awards Nomination Submission Deadline
All award nominations must be received by March 1.
Please send the completed form to: [email protected]
The Ruth Jansen Distinguished Art Educator Award
Every year CAEA gives out one to three Ruth Jansen Distinguished Art Educator Awards who receive a cash award. The funding for this award is provided by the Community Foundation of the Verdugos through a special memorial trust fund established in memory of Ruth Jansen by her family, friends and the community. We are grateful for the support and recognition this has provided for professional educators since 1983. There is also a special award given to one senior high school YAM winner from each Area.
Who was Ruth Jansen? Read about this tremendous supporter of arts education: Ruth Jansen
For additional information or questions, contact Anne Uphoff [email protected], CAEA Professional Awards Chair
CAEA Exemplary Programs
The Exemplary Visual Arts Program was initiated over a decade ago to honor and recognize, publicly, CAEA members and their exemplary programs in California schools, pre-Kindergarten through grade 12. Through the application and dissemination process, members will be able to describe the unique characteristics of their outstanding work and that of their students, with interested teachers, parents, administrators, school board members, and curriculum developers.
The purpose of Exemplary Visual Arts Program Award is to:
• Honor CAEA members and their visual arts programs, Pre-K through Grade 12.
• Inform others about these members and their programs.
• Promote and expand opportunities for all students in California to receive diverse, yet exemplary visual art education programs.
For more information, contact Anne Uphoff [email protected], CAEA Professional Awards Chair
NAEA Awards Program
The NAEA Awards program is open to all NAEA members. Growing in scope since its inception, the program features awards ranging from state, regional, and national levels. Information for 2018 nominations will be posted late spring/early summer and can be found at NAEA Awards. The submission deadline for most awards is October 1.
Have a question about NAEA Awards?
E-mail Anne Uphoff [email protected], CAEA Professional Awards Chair